Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

Film: Aguirre, the Wrath of God (114/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

On Earth Day this year, Craig and I sat on the couch deciding what to watch. I told him I wanted something that showcases beautiful shots of the outdoors, something where Mother Nature kicks ass. He wisely chose this. And I had a total blast watching it. Right up front, the subtitles tell you that these men are looking for a city and a treasure that doesn't exist. Right up front, we know they are fools. We get to spend the rest of the movie laughing at their folly as they flail around, shooting aimlessly, pretending they know what they're doing, pretending that they have some amazing plan. I've never rooted so hard for everyone in a movie to die. The shooting of the film sounds a bit like their own version of their quest for gold, but luckily it wasn't a complete failure. We were left with a magnificent film that's all about the foolishness of man, of greed, of nature setting things right. And I was left with confirmation of my aversion to camping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment