Monday, May 2, 2016

The City of Lost Children (1995)


In many ways this feels like the last truly great international film. Watching the opening credits I found myself constantly remarking, “Oh man, I forgot [so and so] was in/worked on this film!” David Lynch’s composer! Woody Allen’s future cinematographer! The director of Catwoman! And of course, Ron Perlman as One. It’s also fitting/subversive that Jean-Louis Trintignat is being used exclusively for his voice when that voice was famously dubbed over in oh so many Italian films. This is the kind of co-production you used to see all the time in the 60’s and 70’s, but I can’t really remember the last time I saw anything of this level in recent times. Maybe the failure of Alien: Resurrection and the aforementioned Catwoman caused producers to get a little gun-shy. Oh wait, I just remembered the career of Timur Bekmambetov. So I guess I’m full of shit. Still, this film is a great example of people coming together from all over to make something awesome. I want more of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment