Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Ugetsu (1953)

Film: Ugetsu (107/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time


"Ugetsu wedding,
Spooky, scary!
Ghosts becoming wives, 
Wives becoming ghosts!" 
--Craig and I referencing 30 Rock while watching this film and giggling like idiots

I really really enjoyed this film. I got sucked right into the story of two foolish men and their wives. The men are pursuing their versions of success: for one, becoming wealthy by selling his pottery; for the other, becoming a samurai. Their poor wives (and the potter's son) are left to fend for themselves. When a strange rich woman, accompanied by her companion, offers the potter everything he ever dreamed of, the story takes a turn into the supernatural. It was frustrating watching the husbands' journeys as I was left wondering what on earth happened to their wives...I would have preferred if the film had given the women more complete stories, but I can't deny that this film was amazing to look at and definitely memorable. It's spooky, tragic, engaging, and utterly unforgettable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment