Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Blow-Up (1966)

Film: Blow-Up (112/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

"Ooh! Verushka! Peggy Moffitt! Jane Birkin!" My brain was going crazy with all of the gorgeous 60s fashion, makeup, and models. Mod heels! Peacock hats! Fabulous graphic eye makeup! I couldn't handle it. I could barely pay attention to the actual movie. But once I calmed down (Should I get a 60s bowl cut?), I was able to take in a story that I hadn't revisited in years. A fashion photographer becomes obsessed with a crime he thinks he uncovers through his photography. It's not especially plot-heavy; in fact, the plot almost seems beside the point. It's about the world he lives in, moments of chaos and color and creativity juxtaposed with moments of calm, quiet, and reflection. The photographer seems wearied by maintaining his "cool" persona. The only characters who seem free are the mimes (yes, mimes) who skip across this film, shaking up the status quo. And when he accepts their point of view, he too is free. Free to stop trying to figure anything out. Kind of how I feel when I watch a lot of these Sight & Sound movies, haha. It's groovy eye-candy, that's for sure. Now...where do I get a peacock hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment