Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

Film: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (97/250)
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

This film is MAGIC. When I first saw this, I was the human equivalent of the heart-eyes emoji. The costumes, the sets, that WALLPAPER, the singing...I was head over heels in love with everything. The colors of this film are unreal, and the fact that the film is entirely sung makes you feel like you're in a completely different world: a world prettier, more stylish, and more romantic than this world could ever be. The music by Michel Legrand is pitch perfect, and adds the perfect amount of beautiful melancholy to this film. Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo are stunning and the longing in their eyes makes you believe everything they're saying...er, singing. This time I watched it with my mom and sister, and I was unsure how they'd take the unusual premise of the film, but they were hooked! I'm so grateful that Criterion finally came out with the Jacques Demy boxset a couple of years ago; his films have a beauty that's unlike any other filmmaker's work. Definitely a must-see for cinephiles and aesthetes alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment