Thursday, April 28, 2016

Alien (1979)


I don’t know if it's the bluray transfer or what, but while revisiting Alien for “Alien Day” I found myself continually in awe of what a visually beautiful film it is. I’ve seen it numerous times on VHS and DVD, yet here on bluray I came away thinking that it might possibly be one of the most visually perfect films of all time. Perhaps even moreso than the much more famously designed Blade Runner. Everything just feels so much of a piece with everything else. The Giger designs, the sunless lighting and the robotically clinical camera moves all work so well together. It’s the aesthetic equivalent of the xenomorph itself, and apparently I am Ash.
Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

No comments:

Post a Comment