Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Mulholland Drive (2001)

Film: Mulholland Drive (90/250) 
Critics Poll: 28th 
Directors Poll: 75th 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I've written about my trepidation about David Lynch's films before. His fans are a club that I'm simply not a member of. Because of that, I was apprehensive going into this film. I figured I would be completely lost and cranky the whole time. And while it was true that I was completely lost, I wasn't all that mad about it. I just tried to sit back and take it in. I won't pretend to know anything about what I was watching, and I was a little annoyed that the majority of the film had a somewhat straightforward story that gave me questions and an ending that delivered no answers. But it was a beautifully dreamy film. I loved the chemistry between Naomi Watts and Laura Harring, and they were completely captivating to watch. The segments that made no sense at all (to me, anyway) were just as compelling to watch. An actor puts on identities for their craft, and it's hard to say where one identity begins and one ends. Naomi Watts's character was a blank slate, and it was fascinating to watch her navigate this labyrinth she fell into with her wide eyes, eventually completely losing herself. Dammit, I need to watch this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment