Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: King Kong (1933)

Film: King Kong (88/250) 
Critics Poll: 171st
Directors Poll: 322nd
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

It was beauty killed the beast! It was my first time seeing this film with an overture, which  made the whole thing feel oh-so-cinematic. I revisit this one every now and again, and I imagine what audiences back in 1933 thought about those effects that seem so simple to us now. It definitely deserves a place in film history for those effects, and needs to be seen at least once. It's a little long for what it is, but I'll be damned if I couldn't watch Fay Wray scream her head off forever. It's not a bad movie, but I prefer the more streamlined The Most Dangerous Game, which has nothing really to do with King Kong but uses the same sets, some of the same crew, and of course, Fay Wray. But back to King Kong...definitely worth a watch to see a giant ape squash some natives and grab a girl and climb a tower....oh come on. You've all seen this already.

No comments:

Post a Comment