Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Duck Soup (1933)

Film: Duck Soup (87/250) 
Critics Poll: 202nd 
Directors Poll: 546th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

Rufus T. Firefly: Not that I care, but where is your husband?
Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.
Rufus T. Firefly: I bet he's just using that as an excuse.
Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.
Rufus T. Firefly: No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.
Rufus T. Firefly: Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.

This film is nonstop madness. The plot is inconsequential; Groucho seems to be going off-script at all times anyway. The energy, the wit, and the pure insanity is a blast to watch. The rest of the Marx brothers are in top form too, and the mirror scene is the stuff of legends. The brilliance never stops, not for a second. It's jam-packed with one-liners, sight gags, and that unique brand of genius that only the Marx brothers possess. I don't even know what to say about this film, it just has to be seen and thoroughly appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment