Monday, February 1, 2016

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)


This movie really surprised me. Let me state up front that I'm not a Guy Ritchie fan. I didn't care for Lock Stock, Snatch is one of the only DVDs I've ever returned after watching, I was tortured by Swept Away and I fell asleep during the first Sherlock. Having said all that, I really liked this movie. For a guy like Guy, it was very subdued. He is (for the most part) sitting back and letting the photography, props, set and costumes do all the heavy lifting in the style department. At one point this film was supposed to be directed by Steven Soderbergh, was he trying to direct it as though he were Soderbergh? You can certainly see traces of the Ocean's Trilogy in there. Was there some producer keeping him in check like Illya so that he didn't go about smashing heads willy-nilly? Or perhaps he's finally mellowing with age? Whatever the reason is, I am glad for it. There's not enough fun stylishness in the increasingly grim and gritty world of studio filmmaking these days. Too bad it didn't make enough money to start a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment