Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Un Chien Andalou (1929)

Film: Un Chien Andalou (84/250)
Critics Poll: 93rd 
Directors Poll: 91st 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Yes, we all know about the eyeball slicing. I definitely did. In fact, Craig and I were at the Cinémathèque Française on our honeymoon, and there were little screens showing random film clips. I looked up just in time to see the SLICE! and I screamed! Even knowing what happens, that's one hell of a shot. This film, on the whole, didn't do a ton for me. It's definitely weird ("that's SURREALISM!") and didn't seem to say much, not that I think Luis Buñuel or Salvador Dali  intended it to. It's like sitting through a horrible nightmare, where nothing makes sense, and you can't figure out where your brain subconsciously picked up these images. Ants crawling out of a hand, rotting animals on top of pianos, disappearing/reappearing armpit hair (no really!). I prefer Buñuel's later work, but it's memorable, I'll give him that!

No comments:

Post a Comment