Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

Film: Meet Me In St. Louis (85/250)
Critics Poll: 127th 
Directors Poll: 322nd 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

I'm surprised that this is only my second viewing of this film. I didn't grow up with it, and my first viewing of it was several years ago. I didn't remember much outside of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." But it's so good! It's got a Little Women feel to it, a close family growing up in a city they love, in a life they're familiar and comfortable with. I especially enjoyed Margaret O'Brien as the youngest sister Tootie, a diabolical little imp in the most endearing way. As is the case in most stories like this, change is coming to this family and they're not all handling it well. But it's a story told with tenderness, grace, spunk, and most wonderfully of all, music! There are countless great songs, from "The Boy Next Door" to "The Trolley Song" and, yes, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I think I need to add this one to my collection, as it's a film I'd love my future children to grow up with. It's lively, entertaining, and so very special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment