Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: In a Lonely Place (1950)

Film: In A Lonely Place (81/250) 
Critics Poll: 154th 
Directors Poll: 546th 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

In most of the Humphrey Bogart films I've seen, he plays characters that are hardboiled and tough, but has morals and a heart underneath that hard exterior. In this film, Bogey starts off kind of a pain in the ass, yet charming. No way did he kill that girl that was last seen leaving his apartment. Or did he? This is a film about suspicion and jealousy, and what that can do to a man. It can turn a good man into a monster, or force him to reveal the monster that was there all along. Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame have great chemistry and tension together, and the nature of their relationship make for an unconventional "noir" film. In fact, the whole film feels very different from other films in the genre. It doesn't feel like it's just ticking off the boxes to qualify it as a noir film. It's unpredictable and riveting. And that famous line..."I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me." Can you beat that?

No comments:

Post a Comment