Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Fanny and Alexander (1982)

Film: Fanny and Alexander (83/250) 
Critics Poll: 84th 
Directors Poll: 16th 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Craig has been trying to get me to watch this forever, but the runtime was so intimidating that we never got around to it until now. Luckily the television version was available to us, so while it was longer, it was separated into four manageable episodes. It took a while for me to feel confident with who was who ("Okay so...Sweaty Guy is brothers with Pervy Guy and Theater Guy is their brother too?") and while I can't deny the complete gorgeousness of those Christmas scenes in the first episode, it was when the film narrowed its focus a bit that I became really invested. Like, talking-back-to-the-TV invested. It's a family drama with a dash of magic, beautifully shot, and really engaging. They could have trimmed here and there (which is what I guess the shorter version is) but ultimately I'm glad I watched the television version, as it really helped me appreciate the magnitude of this project and notice the repeating themes from his earlier work. Bravo yet again, Bergman!

No comments:

Post a Comment