Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Third Man (1949)

Film: The Third Man (63/250) 
Critics Poll: 73rd 
Directors Poll: 107th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch 

We watched The Third Man for our film club's "Noirvember" meeting and it was so cool to watch with people who had never seen the film before. It had been years since I'd seen it, and I was eager to revisit it. I had forgotten how gorgeous-looking this film is. There are countless shots in this film that would be stunning as framed art, my personal favorite being the last shot. It's a thrilling story about a man being dropped into a mystery surrounding the death of his friend, Harry Lime. The whole film revolves around this Lime character, his shadow looms large over the film and its characters. The performances are excellent, but the photography steals the show. It sets a mood, and it's film noir at its very best. I'm actually writing this in early November and I'm eager to watch more noir films over the course of the month..."Noirvember," what a great idea.



Here's a fun spoilery introduction to the film by Peter Bogdanovich for those who have already seen this film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment