Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Film: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (61/250)
Critics Poll: 183rd 
Directors Poll: 546th 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Oof. I didn't love this one. I had seen parts of it before on programs like "Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments" (does anybody remember that??) and had long avoided it. I thought it would be too scary or disturbing; I can't stomach gore and with a title like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," can you blame me for thinking it would be bloody? But the problem with the film wasn't the gore. The problem was that it's silly and boring. The characters are so obnoxious that I WANTED them to die, especially the brother. There were definitely parts that worked, like the interior of the bone and feather filled house. It laid the groundwork for something truly terrifying, but then it just got ridiculous. The dinner scene? What was that? I was really disappointed, not just because I felt like I'd wasted my time, but because there are so many better horror films that didn't make the list. Ah well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment