Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Shining (1980)

Film: The Shining (62/250) 
Critics Poll: 154th 
Directors Poll: 75th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

BOW DOWN, BITCHES. If you're looking for the quintessential horror film, this is it. I don't care if Stephen King himself didn't care for it, this is the movie that taught us that a horror film can transcend the genre and become a truly great film that will stand up like a giant in the history of this art form. Am I gushing? You bet, like blood out of an elevator. Every detail in this film is pitch perfect, from Kubrick's obsessive direction to the chilling score, to those incredible interiors. This film gives me the serious creeps even after seeing it a million times, and every time there's something new to focus on. I *still* can't watch the bathroom scene. This time I watched it with my sister who has read the novel, and I was asking her some of the specifics of "shining" which the film doesn't explore as deeply as the book.  It was an interesting conversation, but it's to the film's credit that it doesn't need all that explanation to be enjoyed. What's left unexplained makes the film all the more inscrutable and intriguing, and sets it completely apart from its peers in the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment