Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Gold Rush (1925)

Film: The Gold Rush (68/250) 
Critics Poll: 154th 
Director's Poll: 91st 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch 

Oh Chaplin, you genius you. This film is a great showcase of his talent in physical comedy, as he does plenty of running around, falling, and the like. When I first saw this film as a teen I was annoyed with the voiceover, as it didn't feel like a "real" silent movie. But I've come to appreciate Chaplin's narration; after all, we wouldn't get the hilarious "Come, my prrrretty bird!" line without it! That whole chicken scene is my favorite, it's incredible well done, and what a great costume! There are a lot of iconic scenes in this film: Chaplin eating the shoe, the dance of the bread rolls, Chaplin being blown in and out of the cabin. And through it all the little tramp maintains his wide-eyed vulnerable lovability. This is truly a little treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment