Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Psycho (1960)

Film: Psycho (59/250) 
Critics Poll: 34th 
Directors Poll: 48th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

I've lost count of how many times I've watched this film. Every time I see this, I'm in awe of how incredibly GOOD it is. I'm in awe every single time. The music alone is iconic, and I get goosebumps from the first few seconds, hearing that Bernard Hermann score over those Saul Bass-designed opening credits. Add in the impeccable writing, that performance from Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates (how he wasn't Oscar nominated I'll never know), and all the familiar-but-still-amazing twists and turns of the plot, and you've got yourself a classic that holds up to countless viewings year after year. This time I got to watch it as part of a double feature with The Birds at a cemetery in Long Beach. Needless to say it was an unforgettable experience, despite a gaggle of girls sitting behind us running their mouths, not watching the movie. I wanted to turn around and say "Shut up! Don't you know what you have the honor of viewing right now? This is cinema at its finest!" But I kept my mouth shut, and instead focused on Norman Bates quietly panicking on the screen, leaning over the guestbook of the Bates Motel, chewing his gum, his jaws clenching, desperately trying to remain calm...

No comments:

Post a Comment