Thursday, October 8, 2015

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

I think the first time I saw it I was expecting more. In the years since I've really come to appreciate it for how small it is. All the little details like that moment when David looks to his side and sees the dying man who has just turned him into a werewolf. A frightening glimpse into his future. I also admire how all the abrupt cutaways throughout the film really prepare you aesthetically for that ending. And the way that ending is also perfectly in-keeping with how all the classic Universal horror films favored rapid conclusions. But most of all, I adore this film for how small the whole story is. Simply put, it's the story of the unluckiest motherfucker ever. One day, the universe just suddenly decides to shit on this guy and see what he can take. It's not like more traditional horror where the protagonist is paying for some minor infraction. Werewolf stories are much more Old Testament. It's the story of Job. I'd love to see the Coen Brothers tackle this story like A Serious Man with fur!

No comments:

Post a Comment