Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Casablanca (1942)

Film: Casablanca (44/250) 
Critics Poll: 84th 
Directors Poll: 132nd 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch 


How does a film become so iconic? How does a scene, from every single word of a monologue, to the angle of a fedora's brim, to the tilt of a chin, become a total classic, the likes of which will never be seen again?

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." "I remember every detail. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue." "Round up the usual suspects." "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that gambling is going on in here!" "We'll always have Paris." "Here's looking at you, kid." "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." What else can I even say? This film has a legacy a million miles long, and it doesn't need me to waste words. This film is legendary, and everybody knows it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment