Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: There Will Be Blood (2007)

Film: There Will Be Blood (33/250) 
Critics Poll: 202nd 
Directors Poll: 75th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


Watching this film is like listening to a concerto. Daniel Day-Lewis is the soloist, and the impeccable direction of Paul Thomas Anderson, the score by Jonny Greenwood, the strength of the supporting performances (especially Paul Dano), and the breathtaking photography by Robert Elswit are the orchestra, maximizing and enriching the film as a whole, supporting Day-Lewis's bold performance. This film grabs you by the collar and forces you to pay attention. And how good is Day-Lewis? When I saw it in the theaters, I sat there with my jaw dropped, and this second viewing didn't impress me any less. He acted his ass off and earned the hell out of that Oscar. I'm sure he'll have many more accolades coming his way throughout the course of his career until he finally says, like Daniel Plainview, "I'm finished!"

No comments:

Post a Comment