Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Film: Sunset Blvd. (30/250) 
Critics Poll: 63rd 
Directors Poll: 67th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch 


"There once was a time in this business when I had the eyes of the whole world! But that wasn't good enough for them, oh no! They had to have the ears of the whole world too. So they opened their big mouths and out came talk. Talk! TALK!"

Another favorite. I know eventually I'm going to have to watch a bunch of new-to-me films, but I can't resist revisiting my old favorites first. And this one is so so so so so good. Dark and twisted, tragic and frustrating, this is the best film about Hollywood. The writing is sharp, the acting amazing (how Gloria Swanson didn't win an Oscar for this I'll never know), and you can't really beat that cast. Swanson, Holden, von Stroheim, DeMille, cameos by Hedda Hopper, Buster Keaton, H.B. Warner...it's almost shocking how honest this film is about its own cruel industry. A definite must-see for anyone even remotely interested in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment