Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Chelsea Girls (1966)

Film: Chelsea Girls (27/250) 
Critics Poll: 202nd
Directors Poll: 546th 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time 

Okay, I confess, I totally cheated on this one. It's not available anywhere, it's not screening anywhere, and I'm not buying for 75 bucks on Ebay, sorry, I'm not. Apparently somebody uploaded the thing on YouTube with four scenes going at a time instead of two, turning the 3 and a half hour runtime into a much more manageable hour. So! I cheated and watched that instead. 

I guess I can never know what the real experience of seeing this properly would be like, and if I'm being totally honest, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. It an interesting premise following different individuals simultaneously, but I don't know if I could handle three and a half hours of it. I have enough long films to get through on this list! Brigid Berlin going on and on was probably the best part, and Nico's face is just a dream. Pretty interesting, but I'd probably dig it more as a short film. Kinda makes me want to grab a camera and film my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment