Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Daisies (1966)


Film: Daisies (25/250)
Critics Poll: 202nd
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


This is a crazy little movie. Virtually plotless, this Czech film features two young women galavanting about, making mischief, pigging out, and enjoying themselves in every way. It feels like a scrapbook come to life, mixing still frames with vibrant colors and crude special effects. It's a hodgepodge of interesting visuals and madness, of free-spirited hedonism and chaos, of silliness and delight. This was my second time watching this film. While the first time I saw it I was hung up on "Okay, what am I watching?", this time I was able to enjoy it for the piece of art that it is. I think if I was more familiar with Czech history, the political references and overtones would not be lost on me, but it's enjoyable nonetheless as a celebration (and cautionary tale?) of absolute freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment