Monday, July 6, 2015

Back to the Future (1985)


During my final year of film school, I had a screenwriting professor whose screenwriting experience was limited to the fact that he had been close friends with Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale back in the I Wanna Hold Your Hand days. As such, all of his screenwriting advice began, “Well Bob and Bob always said...” Despite the second-hand nature of this method, it not only imparted some good screenwriting wisdom, but also taught me to appreciate how good, “The Bobs” were at constructing screenplays. Everything is set up so effectively and paid off in just the right way. The screenplay for Back to the Future is almost mathematical in its precision, yet it doesn't feel like homework. That's why even though I’ve seen this movie a million times and know all the storytelling tricks, it still works. In fact, I think I appreciate it now more than ever. Not only am I excited by the story, but by the storytelling as well. How did this lose Best Original Screenplay to Witness

No comments:

Post a Comment