Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Film: Two-Lane Blacktop (17/250)
Critics Poll: 235th
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Oh man. I always feel this stab of guilt and insecurity when I really don't respond to a supposedly important movie, but this one bored me to tears. TO TEARS. It's about some nameless characters who drive because they must. They pick up a girl. She does nothing. They meet a guy who's a schmuck and a liar who also drives. And they drive some more. Like okay, I get it, it's minimalist, it's existential, it perfectly captures a time and place in our country's history. But I don't care. I don't care about any of these characters, I don't care that they don't have a reason for doing anything, it bored me visually, and I struggled to stay awake. I can see how this film might appeal to a certain demographic, but it definitely doesn't include me. Yawn. The most interesting thing was when the film slowed down and then burned at the end. Maybe I'll revisit it at the end of my life and I'll perceive it as being profound in some way. Maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment