Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Film: Singin' in the Rain (16/250)
Critics Poll: 20th 
Directors Poll: 67th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

Where do I even begin to describe this film's greatness? Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen, and Cyd Charisse are all amazingly talented. This film has some of my favorite dance numbers in cinema history (particularly "Moses Supposes" which features Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor tap dancing and looking suave as hell). It's visually stunning, it takes time to just have fun (the "Beautiful Girls" number features the most over-the-top technicolor 50s version of 20s fashion), and everybody looks like they're having a blast. Jean Hagen is especially hilarious as Lina Lamont, with her squeaky voice and her angry outbursts ("Why I make more money than Calvin Coolidge....PUT TOGETHER!") I've seen this movie a million times over the years and its magic never diminishes. This is one to put on when you feel like being in a good mood. I'm so happy this made the list and I was more than happy to revisit it!



No comments:

Post a Comment