Monday, June 8, 2015

Dead Man (1995)

Recently on Instagram, comic book and television writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach posted a picture of Gary Oldman as George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The caption read: "knowing that sirius black fandom is a gateway to this makes me happy." I'm inclined to do a similar thing with a picture of Johnny Depp as William Blake in Dead Man. While it is certainly not my favorite Depp performance, and absolutely not my favorite Jim Jarmusch film, it's the one that brings me the most joy when I imagine Jack Sparrow fans sitting down to watch something simply because it has Johnny Depp in it. I want to interview them afterwards and get their thoughts on what they just watched. Most of them will probably just say it was, "boring". But my secret hope is that for at least a few people, it will alter their brain chemistry and set their life on a new course. A fellow can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment