Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Three Colours: Blue (1993)


Film: Three Colours: Blue (4/250)
Critics Poll: 127th
Directors Poll: 224th
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

I was eager to watch this one after recently falling under the spell of Kieslowski's The Double Life of Veronique (also in the top 250). I was hoping for an emotionally complex and thought-provoking film with a haunting score, and that's exactly what I got. Juliette Binoche is stunning as the tortured Julie, trying desperately and in vain to detach herself from life and relationships. I really respond to visuals (especially color) in film, and music, and this gave me a LOT to chew on. This film is part of a trilogy, each representing a color of the French flag. Blue represents liberty, and the color is used beautifully here. It's poetry. The last film (Red) is also in the top 250 and I'm looking forward to that one as well. Just beautiful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment