Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Star Wars (1977)


Film: Star Wars (3/250)
Critics Poll: 171st
Directors Poll: 224th
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch (obviously!)

I revisited this on May the 4th, of course, wearing Craig's "Star Wars" shirt and anticipating every line the way you do with a movie you've seen countless times. I've been aware of this film for as long as I can remember. My older brother was a big fan of the franchise, and while I teased him about it the way any self-respecting pest of a little sister would, I couldn't help but soak some of it in. While I didn't actually sit and watch the original trilogy in its entirety until I was probably 11 or so, I definitely knew who Han, Luke, Leia, C3PO, R2D2, Darth Vader, Jabba the Hutt, and Yoda were. And I DEFINITELY knew about Ewoks. I've come to appreciate it more and more with each viewing. While this film has been tampered with more than any other film I can think of, it's the original version that gets watched at our house. If it ain't broke, George Lucas, don't fix it. Every classic line, Luke gazing at the two suns, the two droids bickering, Han Solo swooping in to save the day ("YEAH HOOOO!"), that gorgeous and perfect score by John Williams...I just can't love this film any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment