Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: L'Avventura (1960)


Film: L'Avventura (5/250)
Critics Poll: 21st
Directors Poll: 30th
First Time/Rewatch: First Time


This has been on my watch list for ages. It was one of those titles that you know you're supposed to see, you know that it's supposed to be a great movie, or at least an important one. This film is also one of the main reasons I went with the Sight & Sound top 250 instead of some of my other movie challenge contenders, like the AFI Top 100. I wanted to make sure I was seeing plenty of new-to-me foreign films as well.

For me, this film is less about the plot and more about the style and the mood. I'm biased towards Italian films from the 60s; everything just looks so cool. All the people lounging on the yacht, on the rocks, not a care in the world, until one of them disappears. Then life carries on...

Monica Vitti has a great face, one that carries this film. There's a handsomeness to it, a strength and a vulnerability. I could watch a whole movie of her gazing out at the ocean. I really enjoyed relaxing and sinking into this one. It's great for a lazy afternoon and I'm really glad I finally got around to watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment