Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Belle (2013)


Belle is the story of a young woman named Dido Elizabeth Belle, the daughter of Royal Navy Captain who grew up being raised by her aristocratic relatives. She is bright, wealthy, and beautiful, and by all rights should have the whole world open to her. The catch? She's illegitimate, and her mother is black. She finds herself caught between two worlds, facing prejudice from the ignorant world outside her door, and trying to follow her instincts to her ultimate happiness. 

Can we talk about how lovely Gugu Mbatha-Raw is for a second? I can't think of anyone else who would be better in this role. She has a spark that can't be denied. The rest of the cast is great too; familiar faces include Tom Wilkinson, Emily Watson, Draco Malfoy I MEAN Tom Felton (playing a racist a-hole, of course), Penelope Wilton, Miranda Richardson, and Matthew Goode. In addition to being a Jane Austen-esque love story (you know, stolen glances, verbal sparring that means they're obviously in love, all that stuff I can't get enough of), it's about social issues too, notably the Zong massacre of 1781. It's an interesting touch to what is otherwise a pleasant if unexceptional film. I really loved this movie and after watching it alone one night I watched it again the next day with my sister, and I kinda want to watch it again...

It's currently streaming on HBO, and if you're a fan of period films or love stories (or both!), I definitely recommend it. If nothing else, give props to Miss Mbatha Raw for her mirror scene. So moving, so powerful. I've definitely got my eye on her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment