Monday, January 5, 2015

It's Such A Beautiful Day (2012)


As a fan of Don Hertzfeldt's shorts (Rejected, Billy's Balloon and Ah, L'Amour especially) I was both excited and apprehensive at the prospect of him tackling a feature length film. I knew that it would be formally brilliant, but would the things I loved so much in brief doses suddenly become oppressive when stretched out to an hour or more? Would he be able to maintain my interest for longer than a few minutes? Well I'm very pleased to say that he was successful...for the most part. Sure there were a few moments where my interest flagged, but you could say that about most movies. What is most important is that this film was consistently funny, sad, touching and inventive. It runs the gamut and results in a very satisfying overall experience. There really is nobody quite like Don out there. Those little stick figures and minimal backgrounds are deceptively simple because there's a lot more going on under the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment