Thursday, November 20, 2014

Interstellar (2014)


While the ending did get a little bit too M. Night Shyamalan for my tastes...overall I dug this movie. I dug what it has to say about humanity and our innate desire to explore and push further. I liked what it had to say about the importance of science and of education. I also liked what it had to say on a sub-textual level about the fight to save celluloid from oblivion and the sorrow Christopher Nolan must feel every time he leaves his kids behind to go on a shoot that runs over schedule. I like that it allowed Nolan to continue to experiment with time in a way that only cinema can do. Getting to see this in 70mm IMAX was also something marvelous to behold. Oh and did I mention the score yet? Organs! There is a lot to like here. You can quibble about a lot of little things, but they're just that: little things. I'm not saying this film is any sort of masterpiece, but if the best you can do is nitpick a film, it can't be truly bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment