Thursday, October 30, 2014

Repulsion (1965)


I don't know if any of you are aware but: I am not a woman. I've never been one and I will likely never be one. I can never truly know what it is like to be a woman. When #YesAllWomen was making the rounds after the Santa Barbara shooting that so many seem to have forgotten about, I was aghast at all of the things I was reading. As a man I might know what it is like to feel afraid whilst walking through a particularly "rough" neighborhood, but I will never know what it is like to live every day in a world where half the population is a potential threat to my well-being.

Repulsion is great cinema because it is 100% successful at putting you into the mindset of its protagonist. You feel every leer and catcall. Your pulse rises every time a man comes close. Is he friend or foe? And even if he is friendly: For how long? This and Rosemary's Baby are masterpieces of subjective suspense that resonate with women for "telling it like it is" and shock men by placing them on the other side of the gender divide. Roman Polanski really seems to "get it". But then again, he also had to flee the United States after he drugged and raped a 13-year-old girl.

Sure, "not all men" but how can you ever really know who is truly a, "good guy" and who is not?

No comments:

Post a Comment