Tuesday, March 11, 2014

10 Movie Paintings I'd Love to Own


When you watch the same beloved movies over and over, you sometimes find yourself obsessing about details, coveting random objects, and wishing you could spend a day or two living on a movie set. I've been thinking lately about paintings from films that I'd like to own, and after seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel over the weekend, I thought I'd do a little post about it. So here's a list of some movie portraits I wouldn't mind seeing up on my walls.


Amadeus (1984), portrait of Leopold Mozart (played by Roy Dotrice)
This portrait is based on a painting of the real Leopold Mozart, redone to resemble the actor. The painting appears in a scene where Wolfgang Mozart is drunk, laughing, mocking the painting of his father, when who should show up at the door but a mysterious stranger wearing the same mask his father wore...! 






The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014), "Boy With Apple"
Created for the film by artist Michael Taylor, this beautiful painting is at the center of the film. It's stolen, hidden, found, passed on, and it's a lovely work of art.




The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), portrait of Dorian Gray (played by Hurd Hatfield) by Ivan Le Lorraine Albright
Talk about a conversation piece! The reveal of this grotesque portrait made me jump in my seat the first time I saw this movie. The "before" is nice too, but this is the one that really leaves an impression!




Ever After (1998), portrait of Danielle (Drew Barrymore)
This is a big-time guilty pleasure movie for me, and I always loved the painting at the end. Based on "Head of a Woman" by Leonardo Da Vinci (the "fairy godmother" character in the film), it's been reworked to resemble Drew Barrymore, and I think they did a lovely job.




The Graduate (1967), portrait of Elaine Robinson (Katharine Ross)
"Have you ever seen Elaine's portrait?" The question that sparked one of cinema's most memorable affairs! I actually got my wish with this one...a good friend of ours printed a high quality picture based off a screencap and framed it..voila! Our own portrait of Elaine!




Laura (1944), portrait of Laura (Gene Tierney)
I actually didn't love this movie, and don't remember too much about it. But Gene Tierney is gorgeous and I wouldn't mind a huge framed picture of her on my wall, haha.




Vincent (1982), portrait of Lenore
My inner 15 year-old goth kid wants this one. I love(d) Tim Burton and this picture of Lenore is kooky and fun.




Young Frankenstein (1974), portrait of Victor Frankenstein (looks an awful lot like Gene Wilder, don't you think?)
I WANT THIS ONE SO BAD. The painting changes expressions a few times, and I'd ideally like it with the crazed expression. And can I just take a minute to reassert that this is one of the funniest films ever made? Okay? Okay.




The Royal Tenenbaums (2001), portraits of Margot Tenenbaum.
Young Richie is obsessed with/in love with his adopted sister Margot, and it shows at an early age by his numerous paintings of her glowering at him over the top of a book. I'd like a whole wall of these!




Rebecca (1940), portrait of Caroline de Winter
This painting inspires our heroine to duplicate the dress worn by the woman in this painting. She is encouraged by the treacherous Mrs. Danvers, who knows full well the unfortunate consequences of appearing in this dress...if you've seen the film, you'll know what I mean. It's a great movie, and a fabulous (and HUGE) painting.




Do you have a favorite movie work of art? Share in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. i love that idea of the screen shot. I would like to do the same thing with the elaine robinson painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the painting of Gene Wilder in my collection. The smiling one sold a few years ago at auction.

    ReplyDelete