Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Monsters University (2013)


I don't often see children's films in the theaters, but who's going to miss a Pixar movie? I had heard mixed reviews for this one, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to revisit good ol' Mike and Sulley. Even if prequels don't have the best of reputations, I had high hopes and I wasn't disappointed.

We all know Sulley went on to be the top scarer at Monsters, Inc. and Mike Wazowski was his biggest supporter, coach, and friend. In college, however, they were bitter rivals, butting heads and not respecting what the other was bringing to the table (Mike's perfect knowledge of textbook-scaring vs Sulley's instinctual and natural scaring abilities). Mike is kind of a nerd, and Sulley's kind of an asshole. After getting on the dean's bad side and getting kicked out of the scaring program, they have to team up with an unlikely group of weirdos to win the annual Scare Games and get themselves back into the program.

I looooved seeing all the different monsters, and I liked the different levels of humor the film was working on. There was plenty there for the kids to understand and enjoy, but the out-there character of Art ("I can't go back to jail!"), an older character returning to college after losing his job and trying to fit in with the young crowd, and a scene mocking teenagers are definitely aimed at parents and the now-older fans of the first film (quick aside: I was fifteen when the first movie came out!). The film has all the components of a rowdy college film but it's family friendly and a whole lot of fun. And come on, it's Pixar!

Have fun, and don't forget to leave behind your extra toe (wait, what??)!

No comments:

Post a Comment