Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hostel (2005)


A trio of Americans backpacking in Europe head to a small Slovakian town which promises to fulfill their wildest dreams. What they find instead, is their greatest nightmare.

*      *      *

Say what you will of me, but I do not hate Eli Roth. Am I tired of seeing him pop up in movies like Inglourious Basterds and Piranha 3D? Of course I am, but his crappy acting has nothing to do with it. The reason I'm sick of seeing him in movies is because his true vocation is to be making movies. As far as I am concerned, he has yet to direct a bad film. Sure he's directed some bad television (Hemlock Grove) but then again, who wouldn't be rusty after six years away? Don't you remember the first time you saw Cabin Fever? Or Hostel? Or Hostel: Part II? Those are great horror films! They're scary, they're funny, they have subtext, they're film-literate and it hurts when someone gets killed because you give a damn about the characters who are being butchered. In a genre founded on the idea of "cheap thrills", that specific combination of ingredients is rather hard to come by. I guess that's why auteurs as diverse as David Lynch, Quentin Tarantino and Lloyd Kaufman have all taken a shine to this kid. He knows what he's doing and he does it well. I personally cannot wait for The Green Inferno.

No comments:

Post a Comment