Monday, September 10, 2012

The Grey (2012)


When a plane of oil drillers goes down in the arctic, a small band of survivors must band together to survive both the elements and the pack of wolves stalking them.


*      *      *

As many DVD collectors are well aware, when you buy a box-set, you usually get one legendary film accompanied by a whole bunch of  fluff. When I first saw the trailer for The Grey, I immediately dismissed it as one of the fluff films in the continually expanding, "Liam Neeson Kicks Ass" box-set. Having now seen the film, I can assuredly say that it is and will in fact be the centerpiece. While I'm not usually one for man v. nature survival stories (with their empty platitudes about man's savage nature and intense survival instinct) this one really grabbed me. Joe Carnahan's direct, subjective camera and Neeson's heartbreakingly nuanced performance are things of wonder. Together they make a masterpiece. I really can't see a world where this doesn't make my end of the year top-5. It's that good. Please check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment