Friday, August 24, 2012

Listening to Amélie (2001)


Amélie is the tale of a sweet and quirky young woman living in Paris, who has recently decided to be a do-gooder and win the heart of a man she doesn't really know. The movie is colorful, whimsical, a bit like a fairy-tale, and it has a beautiful soundtrack to match (original music by Yann Tiersen).

The score to this film has a special place in my heart, because I actually bought the soundtrack before I had ever seen the film. When I was able to finally watch the movie it had a special sense of familiarity hearing the wonderful music again...it was like revisiting an old friend.

The music transports you right to a picture perfect ideal of Paris. You hear the accordions, and your mind's eye sees the little French cafes, the Eiffel Tower, the ferris wheels. Some of the tracks are upbeat, energetic, but my favorites are the piano pieces. They are truly gorgeous, melodic and more peaceful. I actually use a few of the pieces on a playlist I made for my job as a toddler teacher during naptime. The soundtrack also throws in a couple pre-1950s songs to add some vintage charm to the overall feel of the film. All in all it's a wonderful score that perfectly complements the film, but just as easily stands on its own.

I was going to find a youtube of a track from the film to share, and then I remembered that I uploaded a video of myself playing a piece from the film back in January! Pardon my slip-ups, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment