Monday, April 16, 2012

TCM Classic Film Festival 2012


I had an amazing weekend! Living in southern California definitely has its perks! No, I’m not talking about Coachella. I’m talking about the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood! I wasn’t a passholder (I’m a girl on a budget!) but I did manage to make it into three screenings.
On Saturday, I went with my dad bright and early to the Egyptian to see Auntie Mame (1958), which is only my favorite movie EVER! The theatre was packed and designer Todd Oldham was there as a special guest to talk about his love of the film. The audience was so enthusiastic, cheering at Rosalind Russell introducing herself: “But darling! I’m your Auntie Mame!” It was such a high seeing my favorite movie on the big screen!
Oh, and there was one of those bedazzled pianos outside the Egyptian! My dad told me I just had to play. I tried to keep it film-themed and played songs from Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Prince of Egypt, The King and I, The Little Mermaid, Amelie, and The Land Before Time. A nerdy selection to be sure, but oh well! I think the music was appreciated.
Later pops and I went to see Dr. No (1962) at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. In attendance were TCM host Ben Mankiewicz and Bond girls Eunice Gayson (AKA Sylvia Trench in Dr. No) and Maud Adams (AKA Octopussy)...Eunice Gayson was totally adorable. She talked about how nervous Sean Connery was to play Bond (imagine?) and said that she had to “wear a rose down my boozy” (I have no idea, she didn’t really explain herself). Do you know how THRILLING it is to hear the Bond theme SO loud with applause over it? Thrilling thrilling thrilling!
The next day I went up with Craig and my sister Dri to see Charade (1963) at the Egyptian. They were having in-line trivia contest giveaways. I came close a few times, but no dice. Finally, they asked a question about a Ginger Rogers and Jimmy Stewart movie...hey, I’ve seen that! Vivacious Lady! The TCM DVD set was mine! Shortly afterwards they asked “A poster of Rita Hayworth plays an important role in what film?” Yep, Shawshank Redemption. And Craig snatched that one up. Go us!
Charade was a treat...it had been a while since I’d seen it, and it was awesome to revisit it. Audrey Hepburn looks impossibly perfect, I’d never seen her on the big screen before. In attendance at this screening was TCM host Robert Osborne (!!!!!) and director Stanley Donen! Stanley Donen! In person! It was crazy to see him sitting there looking like any old guy and to know how much he contributed to the history of film as we know it. He lamented the current state of film-making (all about money and appealing only to young people) but he acknowledged that it’s just how it is...things change. At least we have festivals like this and DVDs and blu rays now to be able to look back and collect all the great films that have stood the test of time and speak to multiple generations. 
Ah, cinema! I had an absolute blast and can’t wait until next year! Maybe I’ll finally get a pass...? Till then I will seek out more movie screenings and have more movie parties and nerd out about movies as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment