Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spice World (1997)

I am fully aware that this movie is basically garbage. Yes, it has a 2.9/10 rating on IMDB. Yes, it seems to be mostly aimed at Spice Girls superfans. But I LOVE IT.

This insane little movie gives us a (fictional) look at the lives of the Spice Girls as they get ready for a big concert that’s going to be “broadcast live around the whole world.” We meet their manager who’s seems to be perpetually on the verge of having an aneurysm. Their superboss gives their manager cryptic messages over the phone while he strokes a variety of pets in his lap. They live in a crazy huge Union Jack covered bus, and their driver is Meat Loaf! It’s madness! They encounter aliens, they’re being stalked by a crazy paparazzo who climbs out of a toilet, they deliver a baby, they get all decked out in silver and pretend to be Spice Force Five! I imagine the set was a lot of fun!

This film is an ode to silliness and the 90s. This movie came out when I was 11, and I was its target audience, so of course it holds a special place in my heart. If you have a fun sense of humor and feel like having a good laugh, or at least want a “WTF am I seeing here” moment, or if you’re feeling nostalgic for the late 90s, give it a watch. And don’t forget to moonwalk the foxtrot and polka the salsa!

Shake it shake it shake it! Haka! Arribaaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment