Thursday, April 26, 2012

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)


On Valentine’s Day, 1900, a group of women and teachers from Appleyard College take an afternoon trip to Hanging Rock, where three students and a teacher will mysteriously disappear without a trace. Their disappearance has unforeseen consequences on the lives of those left behind.

OK confession time: I only recently saw this film for the first time. I had been on my to-see list for a long time after seeing it repeatedly get mentioned for its dreamlike aesthetic in various fashion and film blogs. And I’m so glad I finally watched it; it’s right up my alley. It’s eerie and mysterious, and is one of those special films that is left open for debate and speculation.

I spent a good amount of time after watching the film looking up various “explanations” and reading message boards of other viewers’ experiences (several people vividly remembering a scene that others say never existed, for example), secret endings, strange interpretations, etc. I love a film that encourages discussion! It makes the whole viewing experience so much richer.

I highly recommend this one, give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment