Thursday, February 9, 2012

Weekend (1967)

Corinne and Roland (Mireille Darc and Jean Yanne) set out on a quiet drive to the countryside. What they find is death, mangled cars, cannibalism and revolution.

*      *      *

I honestly cannot watch modern Godard. I've tried. God help me I've tried. The visuals are still "perfect" and the ideas are as intriguing as ever, but there is little joy to be found. While his 1960s output never shied away from "serious" subject matter, there were always fun and human moments to break things up a bit: The Madison in Band of Outsiders, "Ploom ploom tra-la-la" in Pierrot Le Fou, "As Tears Go By" in Made in U.S.A., etc. These are the moments that mark the difference between first-rate cinema and the angry rantings of an old man who needs a hug. The latest Godard I can really stomach is 1967's Weekend, which you really have to admire for its commitment to unbridled cynicism and provocation. Everything I've attempted to watch beyond that is a beautifully-shot emotional flat-line. No heartbeat. I guess it makes sense that he ended the film with this title card:



No comments:

Post a Comment