Saturday, June 4, 2011

Midnight in Paris (2011)



I haven't been this excited about a new film in a while! Saw this last Sunday and it was an absolute delight. Woody Allen? Paris? The Lost Generation? Why aren't I watching it again RIGHT NOW??

I was giddy from the moment I saw that familiar font in the opening credits, followed by a series of shots of Paris, which naturally made me want to book a flight posthaste! Owen Wilson plays Gil, a Hollywood screenwriter turned struggling novelist who's staying in Paris with his no-nonsense fiance and her parents. They're not exactly a match made in heaven. Gil is a romantic, in love with Paris, and more specifically, the idea of Paris in the 1920s. Brilliant minds creating sparks of artistic genius while dancing and boozing it up and being absolutely gorgeous disasters. The 20s, you know. They roared.

Anyway! While wandering about the city late one night, a little tipsy, Gil is summoned into a old-timey car (I'm so not looking up the model), and finds himself at a very peculiar party. Did that couple just introduce themselves as the Fitzgeralds? Wait, THE Ernest Hemingway? It's all too marvelous!

This is easily my new favorite Woody Allen film, or at least tied with Annie Hall. Okay, so I haven't seen THAT much of his work, but it doesn't hurt that this one is right up my alley. Marion Cotillard is wonderful and sexy as Adriana, artist groupie extraordinaire, Owen is adorable as always, and it's PARIS. Paris, oh, Paris!!

No comments:

Post a Comment