Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Three Caballeros (1944)


In honor of Cinco De Mayo (yes, I know it's basically a made-up holiday), I thought I'd write about the underrated Disney film The Three Caballeros. The premise is simple: it's Donald Duck's birthday (which is listed only as Friday the 13th, dun dun dunnn!) and he gets presents from his friends Jose Carioca of Brazil and Panchito of Mexico! The movie is full of stunning animation, lively music, and even some live-action and animation interaction (although it's pretty rough...hey, it was only 1944!) There's also a fun trip-out sequence with psychedelic colors and singing women inside flowers.

If you've already seen this movie and would like to see something similar, Disney also made Saludos Amigos (1942), and the two go together very nicely (although I prefer Caballeros). I think it's obvious by now that I'm a bit of a vintage Disney nerd. Ah well!





No comments:

Post a Comment