Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Wizard of Oz (1939)



This movie needs no plot summary, no explanation. Here are 10 things I love love LOVE about The Wizard of Oz:

10. Nerdy Wizard of Oz trivia. Did you know Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man? Did you know Toto was a "she"? Did you know the Wicked Witch was originally supposed to be a glamour girl? Did you know they used a stocking for the tornado? I love this stuff.

9. "If I Were King of the Forest"...this song sends me into fits of giggles.

8. Glinda, her arrival in a bubble, and that fabulous gown/crown/wand combo! She looks delicious.

7. The horse of a different color. I wish my cat changed colors!

6. All of the Emerald City dwellers and their cute, quirky, green costumes. Oh, to be an extra in this film!

5. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" and other awesome quoteables.

4. The view of Emerald City. It's so gorgeous, and all the poppies, *swoon*

3. Jack Haley as The Tin Man. Love him, and there is indeed a Tin Man bobblehead in my car.

2. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Has there ever been a more perfect marriage between a song and a performer? I think not.

1. The switchover to Technicolor when she first steps into Oz. Takes my breath away every time.

We're seeing a screening of this film with a live orchestra tonight. I. CAN'T. WAIT!


No comments:

Post a Comment