Friday, April 15, 2011

Inglourious Basterds (2009)


Inglourious Basterds knocked my socks off the first time I saw it. It's a sad and heavy story, told with flair and style, and even a bit of humor. And it's Tarantino, so that should tell you everything. ;)

Plot summary? Nazis suck, so kill 'em! The Tarantino trademarks are all here: humorous violence, dialogue-heavy, quirky music cues, badassery all around, even a foot shot!

I know Tarantino gets bashed by non-fans for having too much dialogue in his films, but I think that's what makes them so special. Two characters talking, and I'm on the edge of my seat, hanging on their every word, judging the characters by the seemingly unimportant things they're saying. It helps that some of this dialogue is given by some very superb actors, notably Christoph Waltz who plays the super evil Col. Hans Landa and Mélanie Laurent who plays Shosanna.

There are some beautiful scenes (Shosanna preparing for the night), some downright vicious scenes (umm...most of the movie), it's got suspense, it's funny, you name it, the Basterds have got it. Yes, I covered my eyes in some scenes, and yes, I'm a baby.

War is ugly and brutal. Applauding a movie that makes World War 2 seem like a crazy cartoon at times might seem like I'm not aware of that fact. But to put it simply, Quentin Tarantino makes a damn good movie, brutal or not, and you can bet I'll always be in line when his films are on the marquee.

No comments:

Post a Comment