Monday, April 11, 2011

Big Fish (2003)



Oh Tim Burton, what happened to you? Your films used to be so original, so touching, so amazing. What is that Alice nonsense? Don't get me started.

Big Fish is one of my favorite movies, and in my humble opinion, Burton's last great movie. It also makes me cry like a baby!

Edward Bloom (Ewan McGregor/Albert Finney) is quite a guy. He's popular, good at everything, and has many incredible adventures over the course of his long life. Or so he claims. His adult son Will (Billy Crudup), about to have a child of his own, is sick of his father's tall tales and wants the true version of everything. The movie takes us through the fantasy (or is it true?) version of Edward's life: his beautiful romance with the love of his life, his search for adventure and his encounters with the most unusual people, including a giant, a werewolf, siamese twins, a witch, and an eccentric poet. As his son tries to find out what really happened, he discovers that maybe the fantasy is better than the reality and the two are brought closer together.

This movie is like a dream, visually stunning, with an awesome soundtrack combining period-appropriate songs (Buddy Holly!) with original score by (who else?) Danny Elfman. Yes it's offbeat, but it's up there with Edward Scissorhands as one of Burton's most tender films, and I'd probably rank it in my Top Ten Movies I Could Watch A Billion Times.

I don't know what else to say about it. Please see it if you haven't!



No comments:

Post a Comment